...an odd combination, you say?

Friday, March 25, 2005

Good Friday

Not much in the realm of deep thought today about Easter.

I am watching Troy, however. I read the Iliad this summer because I wanted to read it before I saw the movie. I'm just now watching the movie. But the one thing that strikes me in this story, as morbid as it is, is the genius of Homer, whoever he was, in writing such a story that leads you to care for both sides (well except Agamemnon, he's just a big power hungry jerk all around) but Hector, Paris, Priam, the rest of the Trojan's, I had always though they were the bad guys. The Iliad doesn't give much indication about whether or not Helen really willingly went with Paris or not, but whether or not, there is a nobility in Hector that really makes me care about him and want Troy to win. Of course they don't.
Here's something I should know, but I don't. I was one class short of a greek minor in college (little known fact) and yet there are things that I just don't get. That last class was on Homer, so maybe that's why. I read both the Iliad and the Odyssey this summer, looking for the fate of Troy, the famous wooden horse (I almost wrote rabbit...how sad is that?) and this whole thing with Achilles' heal and his weaknesses and his prophesied death...it doesn't happen within either of those books. So where is it? Are they in other greek writings? It just seemed odd to me.
The movie's not over yet. But if it does have the answers to those questions...can I really trust it? There's the cynic in me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home