...an odd combination, you say?

Tuesday, December 27, 2005

the dream of the little suitcase

I have a set of three pieces of luggage that I purchased (or my mom, I can't really remember whho paid) after my freshman year of college when I worked at Elder-Beerman and had a nice little employee discount (hence the fuzziness over who actually paid). These three hunter green Samsonite pieces have seen me through many a trip, many a car trunk, many an airplane's cargo bay. Many houses, many states, two countries.
I no longer really use one piece. It's a "hangie bag" and is a pain to get into and out of when you're on the road. But the principle other pieces I use all the time: the big suitcase and the little suitcase (aka, the Magic Suitcase because I've often shocked myself with just how much I can fit inside that suitcase like on laundry days in Germany or when I found I was coming back with more than I left with). For longer trips I pack them both. I brought them both home for Christmas but since I'm going to a conference tomorrow and will only be gone for four days, I thought I'd try really hard and only pack the little one. So I've been trying really hard. What can I live without for the next four days? What will I need? What will I not need. I thought I was doing pretty well, I had huge hopes of getting to take only the little suitcase, but now that the laundry is pretty much done, the dream is dead. I cannot make it to Christmas Conference with just the little bag, even if it is the Magic Suitcase.
I think what it comes down to is not that I like the Magic Suitcase better than the big suitcase, because the big one has wheels and the little one must be carried. I think it comes down to the fact that I don't like the fact that I'm so high-maintenance. I feel like I require so much stuff and honestly it drives me a little crazy. Like my hair, for instance. Four products, post-shower. So if you count shampoo and conditioner, that's six. Anti-frizz, gel, curl enhancer, spray. I think part of it is how I resist routine. More stuff=more routine. But then again, I really like how myy hair turns out with each of those products. By the way, I have an amazing haircut currently.
Is it a perception issue? Do I just like being seen as a low-maintenance girl and being seen coming to a four day conference with a big suitcase hurts the pride? I have a feeling that's only part of it.
I value simplicity. I know how too much stuff leads to a troubled heart and mind. I am drawn to simplicity and singleness of purpose and mind. My heart longs for it, to even be low-maintenance.
But when it comes to packing, I'm not very good at simplicity. So then, why can't I just embrace it? I have a lot of stuff. And I like my stuff. So I guess I should get used to it. Simplicity must come in my heart and in my everyday life. But in travel, I require stuff. I require the big suitcase. So for now, the dream is gone. At least my hair looks good. And isn't that what's important, after all?

Maybe if it were summer and there weren't sweaters in there...

2 Comments:

Blogger amy heck said...

I would like to be the first girl, you're right. But I really don't have the shoe excuse. Because I have weird funky feet, I'm a little challenged in the shoe department. I have one pair of mary janes and one pair of tennis shoes. I own other pairs but I really can't wear them upon fear of pain. Part of it is my size. 10 and a half double narrows don't grow on trees...and even if they did they wouldn't be cheap trees. Hence the one really great pair of mary janes. Thank God I'm somewhat normal when it comes to tennis shoes. I can actually walk into a store and expect to find something...well sort of...if I'm lucky.
So shoes don't offer me any clemency. I only have my hair drier to cling to. Today was my first crappy hair day with my new haircut. It had to come sometime.

10:02 PM

 
Blogger Daniela said...

Amy-Post a picture of the new haircut!

6:08 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home