...an odd combination, you say?

Thursday, December 08, 2005

DAS

I think I have DAS, reverse Seasonal Affectation Disorder. You know that syndrome where people who live in really dreary climates become clinically depressed because of the lack of sunlight in their lives? It has to do with mellotonin production, apparently. A friend and I decided the other day that I must have DAS instead of SAD (I've always wondered if they came up with the acronymn first or if it convieniently formed a descriptive word). Ever since I lived in Michigan (a state where people could actually have SAD), I've realized how I just felt happier on cloudy days. My friends there said I was like a bat. In Henry Cloud's book, Changes that Heal, he says something to the effect of "depressed people like it when it is dreary outside because it matches the way they feel inside." Hmmmm. I was already pretty convinced I was depressed at this point, so that comment made sense. But five years later, I'm living in the Sunshine State and not really feeling depressed much any more. Then why is it that I feel so hyper on cloudy days? Like I could take on the world and be all that God created me to be? Why do I want to crawl under a cool damp rock in the heat and sun? Why did I yell at a butterfly the other day for its presence during the Christmas season?
That's what I thought, too! I have DAS.

1 Comments:

Blogger amy heck said...

yeah, thanks becca. Is there going to be snow for me when I come home? I wish I got to see the leaves this fall. This is the first fall I've ever missed.

10:06 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home