...an odd combination, you say?

Friday, July 20, 2007

Three Pounds, Fifty Pence None-the-Richer

I debated on what to title this little installment. I had two or three names all rolling around in my head, all of which having to do with numbers and the ordinary. I've realized this past year or so that I really like numbers. I like their symmetry and the concreteness that they represent. But then I like to tie them to something ordinary yet extraordinary, too. Maybe you'll see more of what I mean in the future.

So today I am three pounds, and fifty pence none-the-richer in Oxford. Another name for this entry was about to be "the $80 run." I guess I could still call it that. So here's the story.

If I don't exercise, my muscles hurt. That's the the short version. It's been a long while since I've really got some good circulation happening--sure I've walked, but not really got the blood moving since I left Orlando 11 days ago. So last night I thought I was being so good and disciplined, heading out the door at 8pm (still quite light in Oxford)to Christ Church Meadow, a beautiful little place with a walk lined with lavender. I had a nice little jog/walk/whatever and was feeling pretty proud of my stamina and also had some creative thoughts for the paper I was working on. I walked out of Christ Church Meadow feeling pretty good about life...that is until I stuck my hands in my pockets and realized what wasn't there--my keys.

So needless to say, I sort of freaked. Long story. Many other walks around the meadow, to the porter's office, to the police station, and back. But they're gone. The hall charges 10 pounds per lost key...there were four on the ring. But sadly as I was taking the fourth and final lap around the meadow before I gave up, I realized as I prayed that God would provide for me financially, even if these keys didn't show up, like I was asking for them to.

It was just about that time that I remembered that I overpaid for my tuition here when I was doing the fund transfer back in May. So they owed me money--43 and a half pounds, in fact. And I owed them 40 pounds. God did provide, with money I'd already counted on not having. So now, at the end of the day, instead of being 40 pounds (about $80) further in the hole, I'm now in possession of 3 pounds and fifty pence...and all the richer for it.

Cheers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home