...an odd combination, you say?

Tuesday, July 24, 2007

reason for being non-committal revealed!

Ok, I know what you're thinking. But I'm not single because I'm non-committal. That's not what this blog is about. This entry is about my recent revelation concerning why I don't like to make plans...unless of course I'm really excited about them.
So here's the big reason: I don't like to be disappointed. That's why I hate making plans.

This all came to me as Rachel and I were planning our attack on London this weekend. We decided that an evening of Shakespeare would be very nice. So I went online and found tickets to the Globe (the original theatre that Shakespeare's plays were performed in, rebuilt and completed in the 1990's) for a great price(the groundlings section). It was easy...too easy. So anyway, I get the confirmation email--which by the way stinks because by the time you get the email it's too late to change it--and realize that I booked them not for this past Sunday, but NEXT Sunday after both Rachel and I individually will have crossed the Atlantic.

So I made plans. They got messed up. No refunds. Wasted money. Not exactly of King Lear proportions, but still sad. Rachel and I did visit the Globe this weekend, just not to see a play. While I was there, I wrestled with whether to buy another ticket for when I was going to be there on Friday night. Did I want to commit myself to that again? What if I was disappointed? But I decided to just do it. I made plans. I looked disappointment in the eye and committed. Should you need a date for Friday night and happen to be in London, I'll be enjoying Love's Labors Lost, hopefully. If I'm not disappointed between now and then.

But then again, isn't life always about taking chances and living with the potential to be disappointed? Since I'm in the UK, I have the need to quote James Joyce: Welcome, Oh Life! I go to encounter for the millioneth time the reality of experience.
Yeah, was that convincing? I'm ready to come home, I think. Five days.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home