...an odd combination, you say?

Monday, January 30, 2006

Sabbatical, Day err...whatever

Whatever day we're on, it's the half way point. I guess that would make it either 10 or 15, depending on how one counts the weekends.
I've spent the better part of the last week in the state of Georgia visiting two amazing women. The first, only for an afternoon and the second for three wonderful, chaotic days.
My journey first took me to see Joyce Blackburn, a friend of my family Joyce is in her eighties and has lived an amazing life as a writer and musician. I'll have to relay some of her stories later. Joyce lives on St. Simon's Island in Georgia and I've spent the morning reading her history of James Oglethorpe and how he founded Georgia.
I left Joyce on Tuesday afternoon with my face set towards Atlanta to see my friends the Sparks. I knew it was a 4-5 hour drive, but didn't think much of it as I was planning. But when it was 6:30 and I felt myself struggling to stay awake, I remembered my mom's words "You know, it's ok to stop, don't you?" And so I swallowed my pride and $50 and got a hotel room. It smelled awful, so I then decided to set out on a journey in a town I later discovered was Savannah (no idea when I stopped) to find a Wal-Mart or other such place in order to purchase some candles to make the place more at home for the evening. After finding a Wal-Mart in a very dark, rural part of town I happened to notice the little nail salon within it. Lately I've sensed the bushiness of my brows and was pleased to hear an affirmative reply to my inquiry over whether they did eyebrows.
So out I walked, ending my evening at 7:30 with nice candles, a birthday card for my favorite one-year old bubby, and well-groomed eyebrows.
Being Tuesday night, my comfort show was on--Gilmore Girls (which by the way is one of Joyce's favorite shows). And I also discovered one of my new favorite shows--Love Monkey. It has Ed in it. He'll always be known as Ed, won't he? It's great. I love all the music and that whole world. It's nice.
I'll save the rest of my journey for later.

2 Comments:

Blogger Capt Keith said...

Hi...I was surprised and very glad to read this post. I grew up near St. Simons Island, GA and I have read many of Eugenia price's books. I am now reading Joyce Blackburn's book about Oglethorpe, and I have wondered if Ms. Blackburn was still alive and living on the island. I am glad to see that she is apparently doing well. Would you by chance have an email address for her? I have some questions about Christ Church and the location of Anson Dodge's original island home called "Rose Cottage"....Joyce would know first hand about these things, as I am sure she lived them daily as Eugenia wrote the stories. I am glad I ran across your post - enjoyed reading it very much.

Regards,
Keith
Long Beach, CA

1:12 AM

 
Blogger Capt Keith said...

My email address is: SoCalCoast@msn.com

Keith
Long Beach, CA

1:14 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home